Sports & beer go hand in hand for many fans. Who doesn’t enjoy an ice cold beer while cheering on their favorite team? I decided to try out a game day snack that brings the quintessential game day beverage together with everyone’s favorite dessert: the cupcake. I came across the idea on Pinterest and figured it would be perfect for the opening weekend of football.
The original recipe tells you how to make the cupcakes from scratch but for college students, a boxed mix is much more convenient so I altered the recipe a bit. I chose to use Blue Moon because it is my friends’ favorite but any beer will work.
The cupcakes were a hit! I squeezed a bit of orange juice over the frosting which added a nice hint of flavor. Try this recipe out with your favorite beer and let me know what you think!
Blue Moon Cupcakes Recipe
- Yellow cake mix
- One bottle of Blue Moon (or any beer of your choice)
- Vanilla Frosting
- One orange (or substitute of your choice)
I decided to use an orange to go with the Blue Moon flavor to decorate the cupcakes but you may want to substitute something else for other beers.
- Preheat oven to 350; grease pan or insert cupcake holders
- Combine cake mix, 1.5 cups of Blue Moon, 1/3 cup vegetable oil & 3 eggs
- Beat for about 2:00 on medium speed until batter is smooth
- Pour into pan then bake for about 18 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Brush top of cupcakes with beer for extra flavor
- Let cool then top with vanilla frosting
- Squeeze orange over top of frosted cupcakes
- Add orange slice to top as a finishing touch